Monday, April 2, 2012

Just a normal day in the Studio?

It started out like any other day in the studio - hot plate on, wooden cradles prepped, inspiration flowing...



And then my dear cat, Gabe, took up residence in my stand space (thankfully temporarily - though of course, he had to move on his own accord, how would I dare disturb his fuzziness comfort?). 

And then it was my dear dog, George's turn. He's a bit bigger.....


But thankfully, inspiration wasn't halted as I continued with my line of an idea. Balloons as you can see - cheerfully colored and painted in a loose, yet controlled manner (remember my posting back in September?). 

Yes, I have been thinking about painting quite a bit lately, with oil on wood - as I used to do, in the olden days, if you will. I have been kinda missing it, but haven't yet pulled out the oil paint and brushes. Instead, I have been noodling around the idea of painting in a new manner or incorporating the new into the old - spurred on by this last September's class (see above link). 

And so, out of the blue, my balloons seemed to encompass both ideas of mine - the old and the new - painting in encaustic vs. oil definitely allows more spontaneous brush stroke, I think (at least for me, right now). I'm curious to see how it continues to evolve! Regardless, I'm quite pleased with this direction!


So though my day started out normal, I would say my end result was not as anticipated! It was even better than normal  :)

Here's the finished piece, 5"x 7", from my Tiny Little House series. I can't help but title it "Up, Up and Away!" as it's kind of Up-esque. Don't you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment