Friday, August 17, 2012

Color Theory Revisited

Way back in my college years, I took the required color theory courses. At that time I did not paint and instead had focused my attention on printmaking (specifically creating intaglios) which was done using black ink. All that knowledge about color most likely went by the wayside as it wasn't put to any use.... After graduating, when I slowly started learning on my own how to paint, I choose my paints based on their ability to fulfill my desire for rich, deep, and intense color.

Jumping forward to the painting class I took last year, I determined then there was a lot I didn't know (or remember) from college and that I could benefit from a color theory refresher. My instructor offered to assist me in my motivation to learn..... 

Granted it turned out to be a year later from last year, when I finally felt ready to follow this intention and enrolled in one of her classes.  I had no idea what I didn't know! I first created a color wheel using my usual colors. I loved seeing how my palette related to itself!


She then had me take the secondary colors and mix them equally. I then added white to each new color to create 4 lighter values. So many options of color! I had no idea I had this range of possiblitity in my paint box..... 


I, for the first time in painting, used odorless mineral spirits to clean my brushes in between colors. I also used a palette knife for mixing my colors (so much better than using a brush!), went through many paper towels, and got oil paint seemingly everywhere. Six hours later, I was so tired, but so very excited to take what I learned and apply it to my work. As always, stay tuned  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment