Tuesday, September 7, 2010

The Sound of a Wild Snail Eating

Isn't that the most delightful title ever? It certainly caught my eye and my imagination when I was at the local book store last week. I ended up taking it home with me and have since enjoyed a page or two or three before sleep takes over.

I connect with the story on many levels - one of which is that it reaffirms my belief that there are an infinite amount of unexpected rewards found in closely observing nature. And if that isn't enough to entice you, in and of itself, I absolutely love the descriptive words and the images they draw in my mind (i.e. "....the snail's molluscan anatomy, cryptic defenses, hydraulic locomotion...".

And then each beautiful chapter is headed with a quote (and you know how much I love those!). My favorite thus far is by Sir William Osler, a physician who lived from 1849 to 1919. He said, "Think not of the amount to be accomplished, the difficulties to be overcome, or the end to be attained, but set earnestly at the little task at your elbow, letting that be sufficient for the day." Now isn't that the gentlest way to approach daily life?

(I also found this site, which has a wonderful description about the book and the meaning that can also be found (in addition to my above passions) within the pages....).

Without question, I highly recommend welcoming the sound of a wild snail eating into your world....

No comments:

Post a Comment